Foiled Plans

Is it possible for people, those in a position of power for example, to foil the plans that God has for me? Can man interfere with the road laid out by God for me?

In the book of Acts we read, 
Then Paul declared, 3 “I am a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but raised in this city. I was educated at the feet of Gamaliel in strict conformity to the law of our fathers. I am just as zealous for God as any of you here today. 4 I persecuted this Way even to the death, detaining both men and women and throwing them into prison, 5 as the high priest and the whole Council can testify about me. I even obtained letters from them to their brothers in Damascus, and I was on my way to apprehend these people and bring them to Jerusalem to be punished. (Acts 22:3-4)

If God can change Paul, a man who was a thorn in the side of the church, He can deal with the situations of life where we are inflicted by others or where people seem to have the ability to delay or derail the plans of God in our lives - those who seem to be in control. But we are in error when we think that man can throw the purposes of God off track. As Jesus said,

"You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God.” (Matthew 22:29)

The purposes of God may not align with our desires, but we can know that He is working in our situations for the good, for those of us who are called by Him and who as a result of that calling, are loving Him. That is why the scripture instructs (encourages) us to,

“Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:7)

There can be a tendency in some of us that when we don’t get what we want, we want to retaliate in passive-aggressive ways. “Well, if I’m not going to get this raise, then I’m going into work late.” Or, “If this person won’t put themselves out there for me, then I’m not putting myself out there for them.”

Honestly, these attitudes are a foul stench. Remember the integrity of Abraham, who paid for a burial spot for his wife even though he could have gotten the land for free. This sets the bar high for us in that when we are “wronged” or feel wronged, our attitude should remain one of,

“I am called to be holy as He is holy and to do that which reflects Him. My attitude and behavior matter.”

Consider this situation as discipline from God; loving discipline from a Father who receives and accepts you, and who is willing to teach you the valuable lesson of holiness and trust. What an exciting road He has you on. Are you willing to be trained by this situation? I expect that you are and look forward to seeing the peaceful fruit of righteousness that comes about through your “light and momentary” trials.

You can be assured, that no matter the path each fork in the road leads to, God’s heart to you is for good on it. I’ll end with a quote from my son Josiah,

“As sure as it is that God is for His glory, so sure it is that He will be faithful to direct our paths. That’s pretty profound. It’s also profoundly good news for someone (like me) who can, at times, feel so unsure of what may (or may not) come next.”


Scripture References


Romans 8:28
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose.
Genesis 23:3-16 - Abraham pays for the land offered to him for free.
Hebrews 12:11 - discipline, training, and the peaceful fruit of righteousness.
2 Corinthians 4:17 - these light and momentary afflictions.
Daniel 4:35 - He (God) does as He pleases.
Hebrews 6:9 - we expect better things.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog