Who I Am

Paul, the apostle, wrote passionately about his calling. 

"But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus—the work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God." - Acts 20:24

In the face of Paul's passion, I find myself being tempted to feel inadequate; to view myself as one who falls short. Maybe you've felt that way too. Maybe you've walked down the rocky hill of comparison to others; stumbled down its demanding slopes. But Paul didn't write this to make any of us feel "less than". He wasn't calling all of us to be world evangelists or apostles. I believe Paul's words were intended to inspire, not to discourage or dispirit.

Paul's calling was so important to him, that he considered his life worthless if he didn't answer that calling. He had a hunger for purpose buried deep in his heart. Don't we all? So, what is your calling? What has God called you to be passionate about? When was the last time you asked Jesus, "What is it that you've called me to do?" 

Passion is not something that can be contrived. It has to be birthed. What has God birthed in you? As people who want to do right, (we've been give a good heart, a new heart), we sometimes fall into the trap of trying to muster up passion to do something just because it is the right thing. But mustered passion fades quickly and is disingenuous. We can't be what we weren't called to be; not effectively, not with joy.

But what has God put in your heart? What is your assignment?

How would you finish the scripture above if it were your name in the place of Paul's? "But Joe's life, Audrey's life, Laura's life, is worth nothing to me unless I use it to accomplish what Jesus gave me to do - teach children? Minister to the elderly? Feed the homeless? Pastor the hurting? Bring people into the presence of God through worship? 

What has He put in your heart? Whatever it is, I know He will marry a passion to that calling. Allow Him to. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog