Looking Through the Lens of Guilt

They said to one another, "Surely we are being punished because of our brother. We saw how distressed he was when he pleaded with us for his life, but we would not listen; that's why this distress has come on us." (Genesis 42:21)

Guilt can live quietly below the surface of our lives like a simmering soup, gently stewing quietly, its pervasive aroma filling the room. Like a low grade fever, its sometimes forgotten presence breaks the surface when we must exert ourselves or when we are alone with our thoughts. Guilt is one of those things that bends and perverts our sight. It is the enemy of an accurate perspective.

Joseph’s brothers knew guilt. And rightly so. With murderous intent they thew their brother into a pit, and then (in some sort of act of twisted mercy) sold him as a slave to a passing caravan of Ishmaelites. On top of that, they covered up their hateful plot with deception. And thus began a life free from the burden of their brother, but filled with the weight of guilt.

Guilt can affect the way we view everything and everyone. Try these quick litmus tests to see if you may be looking through the lens of guilt -

  • Someone questions what you’ve done or asks why you’ve done it and you feel the need to defend yourself.
  • Every scripture you read is a bar to be reached, a measuring stick of your performance.
  • You measure your day by how much “good” you’ve done or how much “bad” you haven’t done.
  • When scary or bad things happen to you, you feel it may be the retribution of God
  • Reminders of your past bring regret. You wish you had a time machine.

We all have it. From the most faithful, to the most destitute; for we are all under the weight of debt to a holy God. But there is good news, our debt has been paid by a spotless Lamb. The guilt you carry you carry unnecessarily. There’s a cure to your low grade fever. The cause of your guilt, your sin, has been forgiven. Whatever it is. No matter how often it is. Even the debt you are to incur has all been paid for. Intentional or unintentional, big or small, past, present, future - all forgiven, all paid for, all dealt with.

Perhaps you’ve failed the litmus test above. I’m smiling to myself as I read the sentence before this one. Did you notice the word I used? “Failed”. Perhaps you’ve failed. But this test is not meant to measure you. It is meant to show you a need that we all have. The need to know that we need forgiveness and that Jesus offers that. And if you do smell the fragrance of simmering guilt or do feel that low grade fever, I would like to encourage you to know the truth - Christ, the spotless lamb has paid for it all and receives you and will receive you. 

Will you simply ask Him to help and then wait? He will come, He will help.


Scripture References

Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD." And you forgave the guilt of my sin. (Psalm 32:5)

They are to lay their hand on its head and slaughter it for a sin offering at the place where the burnt offering is slaughtered. (Leviticus 4:33)

And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. (Colossians 2:13-14)

who forgives all your iniquity (Psalm 103:3)

All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. (John 6:37)

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. (John 14:3)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog