It's OK to be honest.

In fact, honest words spoken with an attitude of trust show real faith. Confessing the truth does not make one without faith - 


I believed, even when I spoke: "I am greatly afflicted" 


or as the Amplified version puts it, 


I believed [and clung to my God] when I said, “I am greatly afflicted.”


Paul echoed these words in regards to his own sufferings - 


Since we have the same spirit of faith according to what has been written, “I believed, and so I spoke,” we also believe, and so we also speak ...


We despair, we are perplexed. Paul confessed these things in the spirit of faith. I have a cold, I'm feeling depressed, I'm afraid. Those who are honest among us will admit to these things, not because we lack faith, but because our faith rests not in our words or declarations, but in the God who raised Jesus from the dead. That is where our faith must rest.


I was visiting with a sweet, elderly believer recently. She's often said to me, "I just don't understand why the Lord hasn't taken me home yet." She feels as though she is unable to do anything further for Him. But, I told her, maybe it's not about what you do at this time in your life; maybe it's about what He's preparing for you in heaven. Each day you suffer well, another room is added to your mansion, more glory credited to your heavenly account - 


For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison


Would she admit to feeling sore and discouraged? Would she confess that her legs are bruised and that she hates sitting in a wheelchair? Yes. But does that mean her "negative confession" has been spoken in a spirit of doubt? No! You should have seen her eyes light up as I read the scripture to her and talked about the hope we have reserved in heaven. Her smile and her joyful countenance spoke to an abiding spirit of faith.


Be honest with God. Be honest with one another. Your words are spoken in the presence of One who sees all and is able and who cares. In His great wisdom and insight, He will bring the answer to your problems, or He will use your problems to bring you to the answer. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog