Forever Grateful

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)

There's an old expression that I've heard used when one wants to express gratitude, "I'm forever in debt to you." These words came out of my mouth this morning as I was thinking about what Jesus did for me, personally. When I couldn't have cared less about God and His plans and His glory and His will, when I was consumed with my life, my desires, and my understanding, He broke through and rescued me from the pit of a self-centered life being lived on the path of eventual destruction. He saved me.

"Lord, I'm forever in Your debt for all You have done for me!" But here's the good news, the truth of the matter: we are forever out of debt because of all He has done for us. Yes, instead, gladly, I am, we are as believers, forever grateful for all that He has done for us.

And He continues in His mercy and grace towards those who have received Him, doesn't He? Though we stumble, though we fall, though our old nature rears its ugly head daily, we can still approach Him (even boldly!) to receive refreshing at His gracious hand. He forgives all our sins, everyone of them nailed to the cross on which He died. The words of Augustine bring us comfort and assurance in this, 

"I sighed, and you heard me. I vacillated, and you guided me. I roamed the broad way of this world, and you did not desert me."

None of us rescues ourselves when it comes to right-standing with the Almighty. We are all drowning men and women in the sea of our sin and unbelief. But He offers the life preserver, the rescue that we need, saying, "Come to me all who labor and are weary and I will give you rest." Jesus offers rest, He offers freedom, He offers grace, He offers forgiveness.

I think one of the verses in a song I wrote, "Always", expresses it well - 

I will always think of the price you paid
And the love you showed
And the life you gave
How you loved me first when I didn't love you
How you gave it all
When I ignored you

We can be forever grateful for this.

Scripture References

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. (Romans 8:6)

Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh? (Galatians 3:3)

And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. (Philippians 1:6)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog