Never give up

One day Jesus told his disciples a story to show that they should always pray and never give up. - Luke 18:1

Jesus never wasted his words. When he spoke, it was for a purpose. The lessons he gave, he gave to us because he knew that one day, like that money put aside for a rainy day, we would need them.

Let his words settle in your heart right now. "Never give up." Tuck that coin safely away into the pockets of your heart. Save that thought into the memory banks of your mind for future withdrawal on the day you need it. Keep praying. Never give up.

You see, God has a plan for you. Always has, still does. But calling it quits, throwing in the towel, giving up, will guarantee the thievery of your future. Without a doubt.  

"But I don't have the strength," you say. "Do you have any idea how long I've been battling this?" I understand. Let me bring you back to a time when hope was a vapor in my life and discouragement a close friend. Call it a dark night of the soul. As Thomas Paine once said, "These are times that try men's souls." My soul was being tried. But know that these testings were not without purpose.

Fear had gripped me; anxiety had surrounded me. David's words in the psalms became greatly relate-able. And while I was surrounded by many good friends and while they played a crucial part to my eventual ascent from darkness, I had to make my own decision. I had take Jesus' words to heart to pray and not give up. And so it is in our darkest battles. God sends shimmers of light through friends and words of encouragement, but the decision to continue on lies with us alone.

So, as one who has walked through the valley of the shadow of death, may I encourage you? Look for the shimmers of light he sends your way. Cling to those who carry that light. They are messengers from God.

On one dark night, probably one of the darkest I had ever faced, after being granted little sleep, I finally dozed off. Music was playing on my iPhone to help my mind rest, to help me sleep. But I was awoken. And as I pulled out of my slumber, the words of the song playing on my iPhone sliced through the darkness with brilliant light,

I am the Lord your God
I go before you now
I stand before you
I'm all around you

He was speaking through the music. He was speaking to me. Listen to Him speak to you.

Keep praying my friend, and don't give up. 

 



Comments

  1. Great encouragement, Joe! I'm thinking that since the Bible says "pray unceasingly," we can assume we're always going to need to pray about one thing or another, haha! Thanks again for sharing from your heart. -Deb

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog