They need us

My mother was telling me about a woman she met during a hospital visit. My mother was there for a doctor's appointment - to see a doctor, yes, but more importantly, for a God-pointment, an assignment from God; something good prepared beforehand for her to do. Her appointment with her doctor was really secondary.

She met a woman in the elevator who seemed quite distraught. My mother talked with her (she does that - talk to people). The woman was having a difficult time, so my mother listened. The woman needed someone to listen to her. An then, my mother prayed with her. She needed that as well. She was touched and God was able to again use someone to help someone.

It's the highest call. It's what this world needs.

I recently heard a story about a young man that my father was going to operate on. The boy's mother was at the hospital, of course. But what she saw really touched me, and I'm sure her as well. She walked by the hospital chapel to see my father, the surgeon about to operate on her son, praying. What exactly he was praying, I don't know, but I'm sure help was being asked for. A praying doctor; who else would you want operating on one of your children?

We're here for them, not for us. They need us.

This past weekend my wife had an opportunity to help our elderly neighbor. She drove her to the store to shop. But that's not really what our neighbor needed. She needed company; someone to talk to. She was lonely. And so my wife was there to fill the loneliness. One less lonely life.

My daughter told me about a homeless man that she recently helped. He was hungry. She helped him. She also gave him a bible; her own monogrammed bible. There's a homeless man wandering the streets of Worcester carrying a bible that says Kaitlyn on it. But he needed that bible; he needed to read it. He had once known God.

So many stories; so many opportunities. It's not all bad news. No. You see, there is good in this world. Why not be a part of it? They need us.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog